Experience What it Means to be a Fantasy Hero
Top 10 Tournament Plays - gives you an idea what Dota 2 is all about
The call to arms has been sounded off! War between the heroic Radiant people and the dark Dire folk has erupted again, and heroes from all walks of life must march into battle. Join a faction and band together with other like-minded players to fend off the foreign barbarians that threaten to destroy your towers and Ancients.
In order to leave your mark on the world, you must test your mettle in the heat of battle. Slay hundreds of AI-controlled creeps and player-controlled heroes, hone your skills, learn fantastic new abilities, and collect wondrous treasures as you take part in the most intense tactical combat ever devised. Victory can only be achieved through having a keen strategic mind and a strong sword arm, so make sure you’re well trained in both as you campaign for glory in the world of Dota 2!
Take Part in the Field of Battle
Video playlist gives you an overview of all 100+ heroes in the game
With Dota 2, you can experience one of the best Multiplayer Online Battle Arena games, or MOBAs, on the market. Combining real-time strategy gameplay with RPG character growth and management, it puts you and nine other players onto a sprawling map filled with hostile creatures and powerful relics. It will be up to you and your allies to brave the treacherous terrain, kill the creeps that inhabit it, and defend your faction’s towers from the onslaught of the other team. Glory awaits the team that slays the other’s Ancient first.
- Fight for one of two factions: Radiant or Dire.
- Engage in highly tactical combat with and against teams of five players.
- Play with your choice of over 100 unique characters, including knights in shining armor, gorgon sorceresses, evil liches, demonic insects, and more.
- Pillage gold from every enemy you slay and purchase new items that will give you the upper hand in combat.
- Upgrade your equipment by combining old gear into more powerful items.
- Earn experience from your victories. Level up your character and improve four abilities that will make or break your performance in battle.
- Destroy enemy towers to open the way into the opposing team’s territory.
- Weaken the opposition’s creeps and bolster your own by eliminating their barracks.
- Uncover powerful runes from the map to strengthen your resolve.
Rely On Your Strength
Strength is the first heroic archetype you can take command of. These brave men and women are the toughest entities out there. They may not be nearly as fast as the other heroes and most of them can only fight in close quarters, but they’re highly resilient and nothing that comes within reach of them will live for long. Here is a handful of the Strength heroes you will undoubtedly fight during your adventures in Dota 2.
The black knight Abaddon is ready to unleash hell
- Unleash the power of the dragon with Davion the Dragon Knight. Enter the thick of battle with your sword and shield, immolate your enemies alive with fiery breath, or transform into a dragon to let nothing stand in your way.
- Control the flow of life and death with the black knight, Abaddon. Protect your allies by encasing them in an Aphotic Shield, sacrifice your health to rescue your friends, or live on Borrowed Time to heal all damage taken upon your dark person.
- Spread the desert with Crixalis the arachnid Sand King. Unleash sandstorms and earthquakes upon your foes, tunnel under their noses, and turn enemies into living bombs that explode upon death.
- And much, much more!
Rely On Your Agility
If speed is more to your liking, then maybe you would prefer fighting as one of the Agility heroes. They may be fragile, but they are fast, cunning and capable of weaving in and out of fights without taking so much as a scratch. Here is a small sampling of some of the Agility heroes you can control and encounter.
- Use the power of illusion and your own voice with Slithice the Naga Siren. Fool your enemies with illusory mirror images of yourself, or sing a song that will leave all who hear it frozen in rapture.
- Time is on your side with Darkterror the Faceless Void. Warp immediately to an enemy’s location, travel a few seconds back into the past to avoid an attack that would have hit you, or create a rift in the space-time continuum to trap your foes for eternity.
- Become the ultimate assassin with Traxex the Drow Ranger. Silence your targets to keep them from casting spells, riddle them up with icy arrows, and accumulate more raw agility than any other hero is physically capable of.
- And more!
Rely On Your Intelligence
Being a hero is not just about physical prowess. These heroes in particular have turned their minds into the ultimate weapons, weaving magic as gracefully as a knight wields a sword. You will find many Intelligence heroes in your travels, including the ones below.
- Let the mortals of this realm experience the pleasures of agony with the succubus Queen of Pain herself, Akasha. Kill your foes painfully with a poison that slows them down, let out a scream of torment to drive them mad, or unleash a sonic wave that will soften your targets up for more torture.
- Command the forces of fire and ice with Jakiro the Twin-Headed Dragon. Breathe both elements at the same time, freeze everything in your path solid, and set whole armies aflame with your singular might.
- Use lightning to smite all puny mortals as Zeus the Lord of Heaven. Strike a single foe with a lightning bolt, fry several at once with chain lightning, and let nothing escape your unholy wrath, even if they are invisible to the naked eye.
- And so on!
Fight Alone or As a Team
At its heart, Dota 2 is a team-based game. You’re meant to fight both alongside and against other players. You can make a list of friends or join a guild so that you and other likeminded players can easily get together or partake in the more sophisticated tournaments. Despite that, you don’t really need friends to enjoy all that Dota 2 has to offer. The game boasts some very flexible matchmaking tools that allow you to jump into a game with complete strangers quickly and easily.
If you insist on playing Dota 2 by yourself, then you most certainly can. It’s possible to set up a match that consists of you and nine computer-controlled bots. The competence of the bots can be suspect and your victories will often be determined by luck, but playing like this can be a good way to get a feel for the game and familiarize yourself with new characters.
What Platforms is It Available On?
Dota 2 can be played on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux systems. Like all of Valve’s in-house projects, you will need a Steam account to download and play the game.
How Much of it is Free?
You don’t need to spend a cent to play Dota 2. If you want to get started, all you have to do is download it off Steam. You’ll have access to the full game, both factions, all character classes, and every item and spell that they’re capable of using. This is not a pay-to-win game; money will never put you at an advantage over other players.
That aside, Dota 2 has a store that you can use to purchase things using real money deposited into your Steam wallet. However, it only has cosmetic items for sale. If making your favorite heroes look unique is important to you, then you’ll have to pay for it. If all you care about is kicking butt, then you can safely ignore the store and enjoy the game as it is.
What Makes It Great?
The Dota series draws its origins as far back as 2005, where it began as a humble mod for Warcraft III. The original game, which was called Defense of the Ancients, built the foundation for the MOBA genre, giving players the chance to band together and fight an equally matched team in an extensive virtual world. It is not enough to simply kill other players; you need to work closely together with your teammates, capture and defend strategic areas of the map, and level your character up appropriately to succeed. Dota 2 expands on this formula extensively by providing an even bigger map to fight on, dozens of objectives to complete, and so many playable characters that it’s not even funny. On top of that, Dota 2 boasts some colorful visuals and a flavorful art style that brings its many distinct characters to life.
With the staggering number of classes, play styles and strategies that are available, there should be little wonder why Dota 2 is one of the most played games on Steam.